Formula One officials continue to monitor the situation in China with the utmost attention. The Grand Prix in Shanghai is planned for April 19th, but due to the tense situation caused by the Coronavirus the race could be postponed. There will be no complete cancellation and replacement event in Hockenheim.
The authorities in Shanghai this week have proposed to cancel all sports events until further notice until the virus has been brought under control. This has heightened doubts about the implementation of the fourth season race.
While Formula One management is waiting for the Chinese race promoter to make a decision, sports director Ross Brawn has commented on the situation. If the race cannot take place as planned, consideration will be given to catching up with the Grand Prix at a later date.
No exchange with another race is planned
If there is a chance that the race will not take place in April, it will be postponed”, Brawn explains selected media, including’Motorsport-Total.com’.” We will allow ourselves the opportunity to run the race later in the year.”
He stresses the importance of China’s”more enthusiastic”and”growing”market for the royal class. Brawn, on the other hand, rejects a trade-off with another race, as has been speculated in media reports. “I don’t think we will.”
Instead Liberty Media will look for a time window in which the race could take place “towards the end of the year”. However, this seems ambitious, as the current calendar is already narrowly knit. A push without four or five consecutive races seems almost impossible.
“There are two logical deadlines”
Another option could be to expand the calendar and run the China Grand Prix in December. I don’t think the teams would like that. Brawn admits that the situation around the race is very complicated, yet Formula 1 expects a final decision from the promoter.
“It looks very difficult. We are waiting for the Chinese promoters and the authorities to make a final decision. They have already cancelled all public events in March, so [that month] there will be no sporting events.”
Brawn literally speaks of a”tragic”situation. The British expect a decision in the next two weeks.” There are two logical deadlines,”he explains. One when the cargo goes to sea. This will be the case this week.”
Brawn: decision in the next two weeks
Or next week, Brawn adds. Components such as fuel are shipped, but it is not a disaster if we postpone it. It is more critical when the first employees of Formula One travel to China to prepare for the race.
“This will happen in two or three weeks. This is the time when we really need a decision.”While the formula 1 is still undecided, other major sporting events have already been canceled, including the World Athletics Championships.
Other sports such as football, skiing, boxing, tennis or basketball, are affected by cancellations and changes to plans due to the Coronavirus. By now, around 25.000 people are already infected with the aggressive virus, almost 500 dead are to be complained.